Do you have a case of dining hall burnout? You walk into the dining hall and you can’t make a choice? You’re either sick of the options, overwhelmed by the choices, or conflicted between choosing a healthy option or the trustworthy burger and fries combo. Why not go for some brain foods? Often available in your dining hall, here are the top 8 foods that can boost your brain-power and help you stay focused and on top of your game?
- Spinach is loaded with lutein, folate, and beta- carotene. These nutrients and antioxidants are linked to preventing dementia.
- Broccoli converts tryptophan into serotonin, which boosts your mood and makes studying less of a chore. It also contains vitamin K, a vitamin associated with increasing your cognitive function.
- The lycopene in tomatoes is a powerful antioxidant that has been shown to protect against the development of dementia and Alzheimer’s.
- The vitamin E in olive oil is linked to preventing your brain from tiring out, allowing for longer study sessions.
- Salmon is a great source of omega-3-fatty acids. Studies show that omega-3s can help improve your memory and mood. An added bonus is that omega-3s may help lower the risk of heart disease, cancer and arthritis.
- Eggs are an important source of the B vitamin choline, linked with improving your ability to remember large amounts of information. The yolks are richest in choline, so be sure to eat the entire egg!
- Oatmeal provides blood sugar, your brain’s main fuel. It is digested slowly, allowing you to have focus all the way until lunch.
- Peanut butter has an awesome protein boost that is important for your brain to function at its peak.
If these two foods are available at your campus’ grab-and-go or convenience stores they can be a great pick- me- up snack:
- Full fat Greek yogurt contains tyrosine, which gives you an energy boost and keeps you alert during class.
- Dark chocolate contains flavonoids and caffeine, both known to improve your focus. A little bit goes a long way so don’t over-do it. Too much is not good for the waistline and you are likely be up all night!
Next time you wander into the dining hall in a food funk, go for these foods to give you the boost you need to earn you’re A’s this semester!