Back to school shopping is in full swing, and unique kitchen gadgets are a must-have for your new dorm room or apartment. Remembering to maintain a balanced diet may not be the first thing on your radar, particularly without the nudge from Mom or Dad. Fruits and vegetables are necessary to keep you healthy but they are not always your first go-to food because eating fresh produce takes more time to wash and prepare than packaged foods. Using the right kitchen gadgets, however, can make eating your fruits and veggies quick and easy and will help you feel energized during your day to day activities.
A diet rich in fruits and veggies will assure you get enough fiber, which is shown to reduce the risk for heart disease, some cancers, obesity and type 2 diabetes. The high water content of vegetables and especially fruit is also a great way to keep you hydrated all day.
The following kitchen gadgets will help you make fruits and vegetables easier to prepare and a little more exciting to eat.
- Spirooli Slicer: This machine makes your fruits and veggies into long, spaghetti shapes. It’s perfect for making zucchini pasta or baked hashbrowns.
- MicroPlane: One of the more common gadgets, the MicroPlane is a gadget that will finely grate your cheese, zest your citrus fruits, or shred your carrots.
- Apple Divider: If you don’t want to slice your own apple, this gadget cuts your fruit into perfect wedges with just a simple press—great for dipping into peanut butter or caramel.
- Melon Slicer: Similar to the apple divider, this gadget will slice your watermelon, cantaloupe, or honeydew into wedges. This is great to use if you’re making a fruit platter for a tailgate party.
- Garlic Chopper: Mincing garlic can get tedious, but garlic powder just doesn’t compare to the taste of fresh garlic. Use the garlic chopper to add garlic to anything that you cook because it chops garlic in seconds.
- Citrus/Kiwi Tool: This tool peels the skin away from the fruit so you don’t have to.
- Avocado Slicer: If you feel like making guacamole but don’t want to get your hands dirty with avocado, try this tool. One side takes the pit out, and the other side will slice through the avocado to create perfect strips.
- Lettuce Keeper: This container has a moisture control system so you don’t have to worry about your lettuce getting soggy or going bad too soon.
- Collapsible Lunch Box: Once you’ve prepared all of your fruits and vegetables, stick them in this collapsible lunch box and bring it on-the-go! Once you’re done eating, this lunch box collapses to less than half of its original size.
Use these tools to make eating fruits and vegetables just a little more fun and convenient.