This delicious soup is sure to warm you up on a chilly day outside! Old-fashioned tomato soup is by far the perfect comfort food. Enjoy with melt-in-your-mouth grilled cheese bites.
Yield: 2 servings
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ medium yellow onion, diced
1 ¼ cup vegetable stock (no salt added)
½ tbsp. tomato paste (no salt added)
Pinch of red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
Grilled Cheese Bites:
2 slices bread (any type)
2 slices mild cheddar cheese
1 tsp. butter (no salt added)
- Combine olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, and onion in a medium sauce pan. Saute on medium-high for 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, tomato paste, and spices.
- Simmer on medium for 12 minutes.
- Stir in Greek yogurt.
- Transfer soup to blender, and blend until smooth.
- To prepare the grilled cheese bites, spread butter on both slices of bread.
- Place one slice (butter side down) in a preheated skillet. Place cheese slices on top of bread, and top with second piece of bread.
- Grill on medium-low until golden brown and flip.
- Once both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted cut into bite-sized pieces.
Top soup off with fresh basil and some Parmesan cheese if you wish!
Nikki Kuhlmann is currently a senior at South Dakota State University majoring in dietetics and minoring in biology.
Photo Credit: Nikki Kuhlmann