Thanksgiving has passed, and you are satisfied and still full from the feast. However, you have enough leftovers to last you into December, which is perfectly normal. The days following Thanksgiving are often synonymous with the word leftovers. While eating the same meal for the next week might get boring, you might be wondering what you can do with all of the extras. Luckily, there are so many ways to repurpose your Thanksgiving meal and Foodie On Campus is here with a couple of ideas:
Turkey Sandwich with Gravy, Stuffing, and Cranberry Sauce
What you need:
- 2 slices bread (rustic, or French)
- 4-5 slices of leftover turkey breast
- 2-3 tablespoons leftover gravy
- 2-3 tablespoons cranberry sauce
- ¼ cup of leftover stuffing
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1) Place turkey slices on bread, spread cranberry sauce, pile on stuffing, and cheese if desired.
2) Meanwhile, heat the leftover gravy. Ladle some gravy over the sandwich, and enjoy this dish filled with flavors from the holiday all in one!
What you need:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 1 lb. leftover turkey, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup ketchup
- 7-oz can mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 11″ × 13″ casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Combine broth, peppers, onions, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add spaghetti, reduce heat to medium, and boil gently, until spaghetti is al dente, 12–14 minutes. Remove from the heat, add 1 tbsp. butter, turkey, peas, ketchup, mushrooms, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste and fold together.
- Transfer spaghetti mixture to buttered dish and cover with grated cheese. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Set casserole aside to let cool slightly, then serve.
There are endless dishes you can make with your Thanksgiving Day leftovers, such as casseroles, soups, and sandwiches! You can even have your friends over to help you finish the food and celebrate Thanksgiving with them! Don’t let your food go to waste, take advantage of all of the great dishes you can make with your leftovers this year.
Photo Credit: Dan Nguyen, Kara Feeney, FBM