Enjoy this feisty salad all week long! If you’re in the market for an entrée to satisfy your taste buds then this is for you. Quinoa is a hearty plant based protein that is skyrocketing in popularity for its many health benefits. Go ahead and try it out!
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 ½ cups vegetable stock
1 15oz can reduced sodium black beans
8 cherry tomatoes (halved)
½ chopped orange pepper
1 cup frozen corn (thawed)
¼ cup chopped green onions
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. lime juice
1 tbsp. garlic
2 tsp chili powder
Pinch of salt and pepper
1 ½ cups romaine lettuce
Yields: 1 cup
½ cup plain greek yogurt
1 cup cilantro
½ tbsp. garlic
2 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. honey
1/8 tsp sea salt
Water to reach desired thinness
1 tbsp. Sriracha sauce
1. Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. Pour quinoa and vegetable stock into a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer with the cover on for 15 minutes or until the quinoa has absorbed all the liquid.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, combine black beans, tomatoes, pepper, corn, and green onion in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture into large bowl and mix all ingredients together.
3. Once quinoa is cooked allow for it too cool to room temperature. Once cooled, combine quinoa with the large bowl mixture and stir.
4. To make the dressing combine avocado, greek yogurt, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, honey, and salt into a blender. Blend until creamy. Add water in small amounts until you have reached your desired dressing thickness. (I used ½ cup + 2 tbsp. water).
5. Chop up romaine lettuce and place quinoa mixture on top. Dress with dressing and enjoy!
Nikki is currently a senior at South Dakota State University majoring in dietetics and minoring in biology.
Photo Credit: Nikki Kuhlman and Allie Einarsson