Add a pop of color to your day with this rainbow fried rice! You can even cook the rice the night before to save time. This recipe gives the classic fried rice a twist by adding a variety of nutritious vegetables and is the perfect dish to spice up your week with plenty of leftovers!
2 tbsp. sesame oil
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
1 red pepper, diced
1 red onion, diced
4 cups cooked brown rice
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
3 tbsp. rice vinegar
1/8 cup sodium-free soy sauce
3 tbsp. hot sauce (any kind)
1 bunch green onions, diced
- Heat 1 tbsp. sesame oil on medium-high heat in large pan. Add in garlic and ginger and stir fry for one minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add in red pepper and red onion. Stir fry for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Crack eggs directly into pan and stir until barely cooked, about 2 minutes.
- Add rice, frozen vegetables, rice vinegar, soy sauce, hot sauce, and 1 tbsp. sesame oil. Stir fry for 5 minutes or until vegetables are heated.
- Remove from heat and top with green onions. Enjoy!
Nikki Kuhlmann is currently a senior at South Dakota State University majoring in dietetics and minoring in biology.
Kelsey Johnson is a Junior at South Dakota State University majoring in Dietetics & Pre-Medicine with a minor in Health Education.