With the holidays quickly approaching, now is the time to think about gifts you might give to your friends and family. If you are not sure what to purchase, there’s no need to panic! Rather than give yourself extra stress with huge crowds and long lines at the mall, try these DIY gifts this year. Below, you can find a variety of both edible and non-edible DIY gifts that are easy to assemble and affordable, as well.
For the Coffee/Tea Enthusiast
Easy to customize, this simple DIY Sharpie Mug will be sure to please even the hardest friend on your gift list.
1 white mug
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash the outside of the mug with soap and warm water before writing your favorite quote.
- Once the mug is dry, write your favorite quote, doodle, or message.
- Let your design dry and then place into the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven off after 30 minutes, and leave the mug inside until it cools.
For the Beauty Lover
Next time you make coffee, save the grounds so that you can repurpose them into an exfoliating scrub that makes your skin feel softer and more radiant.
Homemade Coffee Scrub
1 cup ground coffee
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup almond oil
10 drops orange essential oil (optional)
1 small Mason jar
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix well.
- If the mixture seems too dry, add more almond oil until you reach the desired consistency.
- Transfer the scrub into the Mason jar and seal tightly. Tie the ribbon around the jar and you’re good to go!
For the Chocolate Connoisseur
You can never go wrong with chocolate, and to make this DIY Brownie Mix in a Jar a little bit more festive, add in a layer of peppermint for that seasonal flavor.
Peppermint Brownie Mix
1 cup sugar
⅔ cup cocoa powder
1 cup crushed peppermint candies
1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1 1-liter Mason jar
Directions to attach, follows recipe
- Wash and dry the Mason jar.
- Begin by layering the all-purpose flour, then the cocoa powder, then the sugar, and finally the crushed peppermint candies into the jar.
- Place the lid on and seal tightly.
- Decorate with the ribbon and attach the ‘Instructions’ card.
Instructions to Attach
Mix contents of jar
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- Bake in a 9’ x 13’ baking pan at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!
Simple, quick, and easy to assemble, your family and friends are sure to appreciate these homemade gifts that you crafted with love.
Michelle Chen is a sophomore at Cornell University majoring in Nutritional Sciences with a concentration in Dietetics. She plans to enter the field of medicine.
Photo Credit: FBM