1 ripe avocado
4 ½ tbsp. cacao or cocoa
2 tbsp. dark agave nectar
½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Cut one avocado in half. Remove the pit. Then cut the avocado into quarters. Peel and place the avocado into a high-speed blender.
- Add all other ingredients to the blender.
- Blend on high speed until a thick, creamy mousse is formed.
Chocolate Coconut Mousse
¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
- Toast 1 tbsp. of coconut flakes until lightly browned – watch closely as they burn very easily!
- To assemble: Mix a handful of chocolate chips into the mousse base. Place in a small bowl and top with toasted coconut flakes.
Raspberry Chocolate Mousse with Date Walnut Crust
¼ cup fresh raspberries
¼ cup walnuts
dash of cinnamon
- Soak dates for ten minutes. Puree in blender until only fine bits remain. Add walnuts and pulse until a course, sticky mixture is formed. Place mixture in the bottom of serving dish and mash down with fingers to form a crust.
- To assemble: Top chocolate mousse with fresh raspberries and a dash of cinnamon.
Allie Einarsson is currently a senior at Auburn University majoring in nutrition dietetics. Once graduated, she plans to complete her dietetic internship and become a registered dietitian.
Photo Credit: Nikki Kuhlmann, Allie Einarsson