At Boston University, there is no shortage of food. Between the three all-you-can-eat dining halls, the campus restaurants, and the restaurants unaffiliated with BU but immersed in the university on Comm. Ave, there are some great healthy options along the Charles River campus. Available in all of the dining halls, the BU restaurants, and in the George Sherman Student Union, are Sargent Choice options.
Sargent Choice is a program that started in 2004 with creating a healthier alternative to the cookies and muffins served on campus. The Sargent Choice Nutrition Center in the Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences introduced a whole grain peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe (one of the best!) and expanded into partnering with BU Dining Services a year later to change BU students’ eating habits for the better. The program’s mission was to provide healthier options for the whole BU community to ultimately improve their health.
The Sargent choice program is run by registered dietitians, graduate and undergraduate nutrition students, and students with a passion for healthy eating from all over BU. The program uses the most up-to-date nutrition guidelines available to complete and test their own recipes from scratch.
Sargent choice focuses on balance, so they provide healthier versions of comfort foods. Options include homemade burgers, pizza, chicken parmesan, macaroni and cheese, and cookies. This is a great option for a student who can eat a delicious, classic, healthy meal that won’t pack on the calories or bust their fat budget for the day.
Check out some of the top Sargent Choice recipes found around campus:
- Granola Crisp French Toast: Found in all three dining halls, this is a great brunch option when you wake up craving something sweet. Made with whole wheat bread, skim, milk and hearty Sargent choice granola, you are sure to satisfy your craving and fill your belly for a few hours!
- Terrier Egg and Cheddar Sandwich: This egg and cheese sandwich, served in all three dining halls, is a convenient and healthy option if you need to grab breakfast on the go. It’s high in protein, good fats, and fiber.
- Sargent Choice Tomato, Basil and Fresh Mozzarella Pizza: Also offered in all three dining halls (on rare occasion) and very popular with BU students, this pizza is made on house-made whole-wheat dough and is baked in the brick oven to perfection. It incorporates healthy carbs, protein, and veggies!
- Shredded Beef Burritos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa: This burrito is a great lunch or dinner if you really need to fill up. It is available at all three dining halls and is loaded with hearty, healthy ingredients!
- Herb Crusted Salmon with Wheat Berry Salad and Garlic Green Beans: This is one of the best meals to eat on a hot day, as the salmon is nice and light and the wheat berry salad is served cold. The garlic green beans give you that burst of nutrients that you need!
- Whole Grain Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies: A Sargent choice classic, these cookies are delicious and satisfying! You can find these in the GSU on occasion and they are often served at Sargent events around campus.
If you have any questions, the Sargent Choice Nutrition Center on the 6th floor of Sargent College is happy to answer them. Students at BU are fortunate to have so many healthy choices available to them. We all know that eating well promotes better stamina, well- being, and academic success.