Looking for a quick and easy meal on go that can be made in under 30 minutes? Try this Quinoa Power Bowl, packed full of protein, antioxidant rich vegetables, and bursting with bright flavors. This power bowl is delicious as leftovers or lunch on-the-go! It’s also vegan, gluten free, and the quinoa packs a protein punch.
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 small yellow or orange bell pepper
1 medium tomato
1 (15 oz) can of no sodium added black beans, drained
1 (15 oz) can of no sodium added corn, drained
Cilantro Avocado Dressing:
1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
2 T. fresh lime juice
2 T. minced garlic
¼ cup olive oil
1 ½ tsp. white wine vinegar
1) In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup uncooked quinoa and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is fork tender.
2) While quinoa is cooking, chop up the bell pepper and tomato into bite-sized pieces.
3) Combine the beans and corn into a medium microwave safe bowl. Heat on high in the microwave for 2 minutes or until heated through.
4) In a blender, combine all dressing ingredients and blend until desired consistency is achieved. Addition of water may be necessary to achieve desired consistency.
5) For each power bowl, start with quinoa in the bottom of the bowl, add in the black bean and corn mixture, bell peppers, tomatoes, and top with the Cilantro Avocado Dressing. Enjoy!
Nikki Kuhlmann is currently a senior at South Dakota State University majoring in dietetics and minoring in biology.
Kelsey Johnson is a Junior at South Dakota State University majoring in Dietetics & Pre-Medicine with a minor in Health Education.