Summer is in full swing, and the temperature outside is heating up. As the sun beats down, the sweat pours out, and it is easy to get dehydrated. To avoid dehydration, many people opt for a glass of cold water. After a while, though, water gets boring, and people look for a more flavorful drink to quench their thirst. One perfect summertime drink is iced tea. A tall glass of iced tea on a hot summer day is refreshing, and it can also be healthy. Studies show that drinking tea regularly can reduce your chances of developing diabetes and certain cancers. Since June is National Iced Tea Month, now is the perfect time to try new iced tea recipes!
Other than water, tea is the most widely consumed beverage in the world. An added bonus, most teas have health benefits. Green tea, for example, contains antioxidants that have been shown to help prevent different cancers and reduce the risk of developing neurological disorders, such as Alzheimer’s disease. Black tea is associated with reducing stress and lowering blood pressure.
Note that freshly brewed tea should not be confused with bottled tea, which is usually filled with sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Instead of buying sugary bottled tea, brew your own tea from a bag or use a tea infuser. No matter how you decide to make it, tea is great for you, and this month is the perfect time to start brewing some new recipes. Here are 5 refreshing iced tea recipes to try this summer!
- Green Tea and Mango- Tangy and tropical, this tea is a delightful treat! Simply brew green tea, add some mango nectar and ice for a delicious cup of iced tea.
- Iced Mint Green Tea- Cool and invigorating, this iced tea is a perfect for a hot summer night. Brew some green tea, add honey and mint leaves, and pour over ice for a simple thirst quencher.
- Strawberry Basil Iced Tea- Sweet and fruity, strawberry iced tea is the perfect summertime drink! Just brew some black tea, and add strawberry nectar, strawberries and fresh basil. Then, chill the tea and serve it over ice for a sweet treat.
- Watermelon Iced Tea- Crisp and tart, this tea is a great summertime option! Simply brew green tea, and add cubes of seedless watermelon and lime. Chill the tea and serve it over ice for a light, hydrating drink.
- Chamomile and Orange Iced Tea- Filled with flavonoids that relax neurotransmitters in the brain, chamomile tea is sure to help you relax during the busy summer days! Research suggests that drinking chamomile tea regularly may help with anxiety and stress. Simply brew chamomile tea, and add oranges, mint leaves and a sprig of rosemary over ice for a soothing treat.
Summer is the perfect time to experiment with new iced tea recipes. There are endless possibilities, simply brew your favorite tea and add some fruit or spices that you like. Be creative but remember to stay away from adding too much sugar and syrup to your tea. Instead, add fresh flavorings like fruit or ice cubes with mint leaves or fruit inside. Have fun and remember that tea is great for you!
Photo Credit: Laura Asbury, FBM