This Italian comfort food is packed with nutrition—eggplant parmesan is seen in menus all over. Looking for a fresh take on Italian comfort food? This delicious dish combines both fresh flavors and eye-catching colors to satisfy even the pickiest foodies, and it is a perfect choice for Meatless Mondays!
Total time: 30 minutes
1 eggplant, sliced
1 tbsp. olive oil
¾ cup marinara sauce (no added sugar)
1 bulb fresh garlic, minced
1 tomato, 1/4 inch slices
1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut ends off eggplant and slice into ¼ inch circles to make 12 round slices.
- Place slices on baking sheet. Brush each side with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl mix together marinara sauce and garlic.
- When the eggplant slices are done, let them cool for 5 minutes.
- In order:- layer 1 eggplant slice, top with 1 tbsp. sauce mixture, 1 tomato slice, 1 tbsp. parmesan cheese, and top with another eggplant slice. Then top with 1 tbsp. sauce mixture, 1 slice mozzarella cheese, and finish with another eggplant slice with sauce.
- Place back in oven for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with chopped basil over top and enjoy!
Want some extra crunch? Top each eggplant slice with breadcrumbs!
Nikki Kuhlmann is currently a senior at South Dakota State University majoring in dietetics and minoring in biology.
Photo Credit: Nikki Kuhlmann, Kelsey Johnson